News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: sharp pain in heart, rapid heartbeat, PVC?

SCTitan06 - Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:00 am

I am a white male age 22. I have never smoked and I drink lightly. I am 6'2" 170 lbs. In good general health and currently on no medications. My blood sugar is great, my cholesterol is low, and my blood pressure is normal. No surgery history.

Recently (last month or so) I have been experiencing a sharp stabbing pain in the heart area that lasts for a few seconds and I also get a rapid heartbeat which occurs after the sharp pain or on its own with no pain. The pain usually only comes when I am sitting down watching TV and sometimes after I have eaten although not always. I do not have any other symptoms besides sharp stabbing pain and rapid heartbeat. Sometimes I will also get what I think is PVC and my heart feels like it skips a beat and then I get a pounding heartbeat which takes my breath away. This always seems to happen randomly when I am at rest. I run sometimes and run a mile or more on an incline and notice no pain in chest or heart area. All of these symptoms seems to happen when I am at rest. I might also note that I have slight anxieties.

As a side note, I have an inflammation of the breastbone near the heart area because if I press on a certain spot it produces a very sharp pain but I do not think this is related to the above symptoms.

Any ideas or help is appreciated. I am really worried about all of this and I can't stop thinking that something might be wrong with me (which may be making it worse?).
 SCTitan06 - Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:13 am

I should also note that this happens maybe 3 times a day but sometimes it won't happen at all during a day...most of the time later in the evening or night

sometimes I will get the sharp pain with the rapid heart rate and sometimes I will just get a rapid heartrate or pounding heart with no pain..usually if I just tell myself to calm down it helps...I think once I notice it I get nervous and that makes it worse
 SCTitan06 - Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:58 pm

*Update*

I began to think it could be due in part to bad heartburn (sharp pain near or around when I ate) so I took a perscription for heartburn/indigestion and the sharp pains in the heart area has not come back since

I have only gotten 1 PVC in the last 2-3 days and I think my rapid heart rate was due to anxiety after the sharp pain hit or just from worrying about something being wrong with my heart...I will continue to monitor the situation and if the pains return/get worse or I start to get more PVC's then I will make an appointment with my GP
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:27 pm

User avatar Hello -

While I just got here and found your series of posts, it is very interesting to note that you finally figured out the exact things I would have told you had I been aware of your post earlier. Good job! I think you've figured out the cause of the problems and the solution as well, which is quite remarkable.

It is worth mentioning in passing that sharp, stabbing-typed pains are almost never heart-related, although GI upsets and GERD, etc., can help provoke PVCs (which you described very well also). It would be great if everyone had as much medical insight as you have. I wouldn't change anything about your conclusions, especially since it all seems to be working for you.

Feel free to update us, but I think you did a great job all on your own.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here