Question: 21-year old with palpitations/chest pain

irukashi - Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:56 am

Good evening!

21 year old female, I neither smoke nor drink, and I'm not overweight. I do not have children.

I'm currently on Vesicare (light dosage) for urinary frequency/incontinence.

Family history: my grandfather died of heart failure at 85, my other grandfather of AIDS. My grandmother (84) has a slight heart arrhythmia (atrial?), but is otherwise very healthy. My other grandmother suffers from rheumatoid arhtritis.

I have a history of sudden and transitory tachycardias (usually because of anxiety/panick attacks), as well as fainting and drop in blood pressure. Also, recent onset of migraines following minor head trauma (clear MRI and neurological exam).

Recently (5 days ago), I developed chest and back pain. Sometimes sharp and localized, sometimes a dull ache; generally affecting my sternum and left-side of my chest, as well as my back and shoulders. I'd say the pain ranges from a 2 to a 4.

I also have sudden fits of severe coughing (trying to cough up phlegm: clear, no blood, but abundant), that come and go. Usually that makes the chest pain more severe.

Today, I had two episodes of palpitations: a sudden and brief awareness of my heartbeat, faster than usual and pounding in my neck. After that I felt rather lightheaded and very tired. That said, I didn't faint or sweat, and when the doctor took my pulse afterwards it was normal (70). My BP as well was normal (12/7, my normal range).

Later, I went to see a doctor (nightshift), who told me I had a respiratory infection (mild fever) which explained my cough, and in turn my chest pain. He took my pulse and blood pressure (normal), listened to my breathing. As for the palpitations, he chalked them up to dehydration and general fatigue. (I was thirsty and a bit tired, that's true.)

I admit, I'm a bit perplexed. I'm reluctant to go back to the hospital, because I'm afraid to be an overreacting hypocondriac (many deaths in my family, and many doctors too), but at the same time, I felt as though the doctor really dismissed my concerns. (As a side-note, I live in Japan, so English-speaking doctors are a rarity).

I'd appreciate your opinion. Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions, by the way!
 irukashi - Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:39 pm

Also, in the past week, I've had pain in my jaw/arms (sharp, but intermittent), and an episode of strong nausea/stomach upset (no vomiting, however) that subsided with a tablet of vogalen.
 irukashi - Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:11 am

After 3 new episodes, I went back to the clinic, where a cardiologist ordered a holter monitor and blood samples, to rule out a cardiac issue (unlikely considering my age and personal/family history). I'm wearing the holter monitor right now and they took my blood this morning.

I'll let you know the results. :)

|