Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: concerning blood pressure question

rene - Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:49 pm

i was recently told that when i am sitting my blood pressure was 120 over 80 but when i stood up it was 100 over 78. i have gotten differing opinions on what this means and an very curious.
i had a baby two months ago and ever since then have not felt right- i get lightheaded and dizzy when i stand for very long still??
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:13 pm

User avatar Hi Rene,

There are actually a few ways to interpret this. A drop of 20 mm Hg in the blood pressure is, by definition, a significant drop in blood pressure. The converse to this is that both pressures are still normal.

I suspect that your dizziness after standing for long periods of time is due to the blood beginning to pool in the legs causing less to go to your brain. This is actually very common, especially in women. It can be helped by keeping the legs moving when standing and making sure to stay very hydrated. The goal should be to keep your urine colorless (no yellow). This would indicate you are maximally hydrated.

If you continue to have trouble with this I would recommend you discuss this with your doctor.

|