Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: HAVING CHEST PAIN PLEASE HELP!!!

darkside44 - Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:42 am

IM A 32YR. OLD MALE
For the past 6 months ive had this nagging pain in my left shoulder.so i went to my family doctor to see if he could tell me what was wrong? He told me it was panic /stress attacks. and put me on xanax so for around 3 months i was on this med i was taking 1and a half mgs. day max and seem to be doing o.k.
but i was taken of the meds and my panic attaks started back up. But i didn't think it was panic attacks causing my chest pain. i've been to the E.R.
4 times since then and had ekg's done blood work,ct scans,i even did a basic treadmill test.everything came back normal exept the most recent visit to the e.r. they did a colesterol test. And i was in shock at what i saw. my colesterol was at 262 mg/dl and my triglycerides at 380 mg/dl my hdl colesterol was 33 mg/dl. i could not believe it since i don't eat a lot of junk/fast food. and im not over wheight. i don't know what to do my chest pain is almost constant and sometimes i have problems breathing like there's a car on my chest. i have been on zoloft 100mg's for around a 7 week's now and was put on ativan for painc
attacks and i've been on methadone for about 4 yrs. i was taking 150 mg's a day but i have cut down to 50 mg's a day in the past 8 month's.please tell me do you think my meds might have something to do with my problems with my chest?

thanks for any help.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:54 am

User avatar Hi there,

High cholesterol levels are a risk for ischemic heart (IHD) disease but it does not mean you will have IHD, but since you have had a battery of investigations and they all came back negative I would feel reassured.

What your cholesterol levels entail is that they should be managed properly so that you do not develop IHD in the future.

On the other hand IHD pain is typically not continuous, its usually exertional (i.e. comes about by activity and is relieved by rest).

However, given that I am unable to assess you, I would suggest that you report any increase or change of the character of your symptoms to your doctor.

Other risk factors for IHD inclue old age, hypertension, a family history of IHD (especially at young age), diabetes and it appears that you have none of those.

darkside44 - Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:15 am

I was wondering then what do you think might be thats causing me so much discomfort?do you think i need any other test done? or should i stop worrying so much .with me being so young it just streeses me out. That they have not come to some sort of a cause.

Again thanks for listening.
 darkside44 - Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:21 am

Hello again,
I was wondering with all that i've been trought in the last 6 months with all the heart test,blood test,strees test, and thy still cant find anything wrong.My
breathing is still giving me problems.I get sick after i eat probably 70% of the time
and still have the chest pain.im at a loss and at the end of my emotional rope.I do nothing but worry whats wrong with me . Im sick of being sick!!!!!!!! if you read my prior post you will see what all i have been through.but today i did some research on gerd and these pepole sound like thy have been through the same things i've been going through. I don't know what else to do i should not be so freaking worried at my age.My whole life has been turned upside down. my birthday was on the 18th and i could not even enjoy that.even all the meds im on don't seem to help.zoloft,methadone,ativan. I even see a shrink 2x a week. And i really don't think it has anything to do with my mind.

thanks for listening to my whining.
Darkside44
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:51 pm

User avatar Hello again,

I am sorry to hear you are having such a hard time with your chest pain. Although you should feel relieved that your tests are all negative, I understand your suffering if your chest pain isn't getting any better.

Your question about GERD as a possible cause is ligitimate. I have actually included a list of the most common causes of chest pain on this website. pain/chest.htm" class="postlink">Click here!

I think you should discuss all these possibilities with your doctor until you are completely satisfied and are pain free.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!
 jenmonge - Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:50 pm

I also went to the ER with the same symptoms (minus the high cholesterol) and the ekg was normal. I honestly thought I was having a heart attack with the heaviness, lack of breath and pain in my upper back. (ER gave me zanax for anxiety)
While reading some articles online I ran across a story of a women who was also experiencing similar episodes and a doctor told her to quit drinking coffee. It worked! I gave up my three cups a day and most of my symptoms have gone away. All except I am left with a very low pulse. I am still trying to figure that out, soon I will see a cardiologist. Hope this helps.
 murphy1982 - Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:55 pm

My question is when they tested your cholestrol panel had you fasted im guessing no because you were in the er but in order to get a accurate cholestrol panel you must fast for at least 9 hours, that's what I was told and had to do

|