Question: chest pain

Polo - Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:12 pm

I am a 43 yo wm, with chest pain that seems to be mainly around my sternum and radiates across my chest at times, last month I had an angiogram and it was clear. I am a Diabetic, and have high bp., and Rheumatoid Arthritis, all controlled by medications. The pain is normaly about a 3 on a 1-10 scale but can reach about 5. When they did my angiogram they also scanned my gall bladder and said it looked fine, but I have heard of people being told the scan of their gall bladder looked good but to later have it removed. The pain doesn't seem to be cardiac. Can you please give me an idea of what it could be.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:32 pm

User avatar Hi Polo,

Chest pain in the area you are describing is very commonly associated with gastroesophageal reflux. This is very common and many people get worked up for heart problems that subsequently find their heart to be normal but reflux is present.

You may want to try taking an antacid the next time you have this pain to see if it helps. If it does help some and you are needing it frequently or it doesn't help enough your doctor can prescribe you a stronger medicine.

|