Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Follow-up for Pulmonary Hypertension

dacubster - Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:47 pm

I am a 24 year old female with severe asthma, bronchitis, hyperthroidism, IST, and anxiety.

While hospitalized last December for November a echocardiogram was performed which showed a reading of 31 mmHg showing mild hypertension as they described it.

My cardiologist said it was unrelated to my heart (she treats me with Toprol for an unexplained fast heart rate). My pulmonoligst ruled out sleep apnea and said it was something that needed to be followed.

From what I have read some say this reading is not significant at all while others claim it may get worse. The only advice my cardiologist wanted me to follow was to repeat an echo once a year.

Well that time has come but my Primary care docotor said that it does not seem important to get it done (I am HMO and need his referral). Is this something I should push for? Also are these readings something I need to followup on and get a second opinion? Are there specific causes that could create this problem and is it likely to get worse or better over time?

Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:23 am

User avatar Hi Dacubster,

Given that your cardiologist recommended you follow up I would have to advise the same. Your pressure reading is borderline high. It may have been an incidental thing that has since resolved but it is safest to be sure.

I would recommend you readdress this issue with your doctor and see what his reasoning for not needing the follow up is. There may be a very good reason.

|