Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: Is it hypertension?

lindzyb - Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:25 am

22 female, hypothyroidism, PCOS, on synthroid. Mother with Hypertension.

I have been experiencing significant "head rushes" for the past 2 months or so. I have to make sure I do not stand up too fast or else it will be awful. Pressure in my head & dizziness is the symptoms. Is this a sign of hypertension? Also, I read on another persons post that hypertension should be looked at in younger people for alternative causes, should I ask my doctor about that too? I am seeing him in about 3 weeks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:44 pm

I'm glad to see you will be going to your doctor soon. The dizzy feeling you get when standing up quickly is related to a sudden fall in blood pressure (low, rather than high). It happens most often after you've been lying down for a while. It can also occur when you are anemic or dehydrated, taking certain medications and with some diseases.

This does not mean you couldn't have high blood pressure as well but only having it checked can you know if you have it. It is sometimes called a silent killer because it can be doing damage to your body without giving you any warning signs. Doctors routinely check blood pressure when you go in so I trust yours will when you see him/her. It can have symptoms such as headache but don't rely on that.

Best wishes

|