News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: HCTZ dosing interval

WilliamR - Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:47 am

I currently take HCTZ at 12.5 MG per day (along with an ARB) for Hypertension. My physician is OK with me experimenting with dropping the dosage down to 6.25 per day to see if I can still maintain sufficient BP control.

The smallest doseage HCTZ pill available to me is 12.5 MG. I realize I can cut the pill in half to get down to 6.25 MG.

My question is whether or not simply taking the 12.5 MG pill every other day would be a reasonable strategy.

Is every other day dosing of HCTZ adequate for BP control? Or should I cut the pill and stay with daily dosing?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:33 pm

User avatar Hi WilliamR,

Taking 12.5mg every other day of HCTZ would not be the same as taking 6.5mg per day due to the half life and metabolism in the body.

HCTZ should be safe to split. I believe the pill may even have a scored mark across the center. I would suggest you call your pharmacy and ask the pharmacist to be sure it is safe, just to double check me since I'm not 100% sure.

The best way I have found to cut tablets is to use a tablet cutter that can be purchased pretty cheaply from almost any pharmacy.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here