Forum Name: Heart Failure

Question: I cant walk more than 10 minutes without chest pain, dyspnea

RAWEYA - Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:02 pm

Hello doctor im iris im 20. years old.
recently i have noticed that i cant walk more than 10 minutes becoze after that i feel thaht my heart will explode..my heart start to beat very fast..
also i cant use the stares i always use the elevator for the same reason..i breath too fast as if i was climbing a mountain.
now i can do nothing even the simple things coz i get tired easily..some times i woke up because i feel also have the same things however i did not anything im just sleeping!!
and now i started to feel a strange pain in my chest that make me cant breath. and some times i have a sharp apin in my chest and the centre of my back at the same time..
i went to a doctor last years and he told me to make i think it was the ekg and my heart rates was 125 in a minute so he gave me an indral 40 but i did not feel ok..sometimes i take 2 pills in a day but im still not ok.
so what should i do?im young to have a heart condition or it doesnt matter?
ps: my mother's father had a heart condition.

thank you so much
iris
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:46 pm

User avatar Hello Iris,

Sorry to hear about your condition. Have you consulted a cardiologist. Heart disease can occur in young patients and the shortness of breath on exercise as well as the chest pain require a careful assessment. Is this condition progressive?

What heart disease did your parents have? and at what age did they start having it?
 RAWEYA - Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:23 pm

peace be upon you doctor tamer and happy eid..

well thanks for the quick reply..i forgot to say that it is with a chest pain actually ..that doctor that i was talking about told me to go to a cardiologist but i thoght that time that he did not understand anything because he didnt tell me what to do that day he just took my pulse and blood pressure and told me to do the ekg i thing and he even didnt tell me what may i have and he didnt ask me any question ..so i thought im just tired and thats it..but when i started to feel that pain again and harder than before i started to worry..i told my mom once and she couldnt believe that i have anything in my heart coz im young so thats why im asking first in the internet and i will work alone in my case without any help from them thats why i need to know before i go to a doctor alone..and yes it is progressive..
it my grand mom who had it neither my mom nor my dad..i will ask about it and tell you..

thank you so much doctor for the help and sorry for any disturb.
و كل عام و حضرتك بخير
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:18 am

User avatar Thank you very much Raweya and happy Eid to you and your family.

Young age and female gendre offer protection from the most common heart disease (coronary artery disease) but does not eliminate any other cause for heart disease. Again the likelihood that you have any of these diseases is decreased by young age.

The thing that concerns me more is your description of progressive exertional dyspnea. I would follow your doctor's recommendation and seek the assessment of a cardiologist as soon as possible.

RAWEYA - Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:26 am

Thank you doctor tamer so much and happy eid to you too..

well ok i will try to go to a doctor soon i will try after my exams ..do you recommend any hospital..i did not live in egypt so i know nothing about the good hospitals and you seems egyptian right? so any advice about that issue??

i don't know if this information may help but i will say it any way i was born before my time (5 months only and i my weight was 500 gram) my mom was in turky when chernopel exploded in russia so she went back to kuwait because it was dangerous to stay there while carrying me..and once she return i came to this life .. is there any chance that this incident may czuse anything???
well i thought it may help in something.

thanx again and best wishes to you and your family..
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:57 am

User avatar Hello again,

I think we should take this step by step and first determine what it is you have before we consider the possible causes. I am not really in a position to make a recommendation - I presume there are many good cardiologists in Egypt.

I think there is a hospital affiliated to the Cleveland Clinic called Dar El-Fouad. They mainly specialize in the treatment of heart disease.

Good luck with the exams!
 RAWEYA - Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:56 pm

salam akaikom dr tamer..

ok then i will try to go as soon as possible..but i just asked you coz i don't know anything here and as i told you before i will work on this alone so i cant ask them about anything they will not let me go and they wont go with me so its complicated but i don't want to go to the same hospital that i went before i want feel so comfort that day...sorry i cause i diurb for you but i didnt mean it i just asked bcoz of what i told you about..

and manyyy thanx for the wishes i really need it so pls make do3a2 for me and my friends english literature is soo hard (but not comparing with medecine) LOL!!

thank you sooo much for the help..your time and the information..

raweya(iris)

RAWEYA - Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:12 pm

quick question:

i emailed cleveland clicic and they replyed that i may have arrhythmia is that similar to dyspenea?? i googled both of them but im not a doctor to understand or to defferinciate between them??
so is there any difference??

thanx alot
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:06 am

Dyspnea means shortness of breath while arrhythmia means abnormal rhythm of the heart. Arrhythmia can sometimes lead to dyspnea. All of these are possibilities which I don't think you should get into since no one will be able to diagnose you without an examination.

Good luck and keep this thread updated.
 RAWEYA - Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:27 pm

thanks alot dr tamer for the information i like to know what are the possibilities bsfore i go to any doctor and to know some information incase he said on of these names so..thank you so much again and i will tell you what happened when i go ta a doctor..

pls make do3a2 for me coz i really need it...

thanx
iris

|