Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: How long can pacemaker treatment for Mobitz 2 be delayed?

dentaybow - Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:34 am

My 70 year old sister, who is in otherwise good health and very active began experiencing intolerance to even light activities about two months ago. Her primary physician referred to her a cardiologist after she 'flunked' a treadmill test. In the few minutes she was on the treadmill, her heart rate dropped and she was unable to continue on the treadmill. She was referred to a cardiologist. The cardiologist said she had a Mobitz 2 heart block and would have to have a pacemaker.

Her tolerance to activity continues to decrease. Example: making the bed in the morning induces weakness, light-headedness, etc and she will lay down for a while to regain the ability to continue. She also has minor 'self-diagnosed' symptoms of GRD. <smile>

Questions:
How long can the placement of a Pacemaker be reasonably and safely delayed? Weeks? Months?

Would it be best to do further tests to determine the underlying cause of this arryhthmia before proceeding with the pacemaker? Namely, rule out ischemic heart disease/ CAD by doing such things as a Persantine Test and/or an angiogram?

If the underlying cause of the Mobitz ll was CAD and that was treated, would it negate the need for a pacemaker?

Thank you for your advice and opinons.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:26 pm

User avatar Hi Dentaybow,

When reading my opinion please keep in mind that I am not a cardiologist. It sounds like your sister is quite symptomatic from her cardiac rhythm. I would suspect that she needs the pacemaker.

I am not qualified to comment on the need for angiography. A persantine test may give helpful information regarding the presence of coronary artery disease but may not be particularly helpful regarding the need to have a pacemaker placed.

My best advice is to discuss this with her cardiologist to get the benefits and risks of the pacemaker as well as not getting the pacemaker. This way you'll be able to make an informed decision.

|