News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: surgery cancelled do to irregular EKG

happyhappy - Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:18 pm

I went in for pre-surgury testing but I failed the ekg, I was sent to my family doctor that evening with high blood pressure, We knew I had this but we always blamed it on white coat, This new physician at the practice said, this ekg looks like you had a heart attack, he'd didn't say when, I don't' know if this means anything to you but vent rate 72bpm, P duration:86 ms, QRS duration:92ms , PR interval:146ms, QT interval:414 ms, QTc interval: 433ms, QT dispersion: 30ms,
P-r-t axis 33, -22,5 degrees

they want to do a cardiolyte stress test, I can get in-- in 2 weeks, The new doctor & the regular doctor discussed it in the hall, I could tell they were interpreting it differently, I guess it's one step at a time.

So the question is. . . How sick am I? can managing my blood pressure improve the EKG report? He told me my medicine hasn't worked to lower my blood pressure so double it. but if it didn't work, does that mean the dose is wrong or the drug is wrong, I guess this is all trial & error,

Any thoughts?

39 yr old female
 happyhappy - Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:32 pm

I just got a call from my doctor, cardiologist doesn't agree with his interpretation of the test, but I'm still suppose to have the stress test & get my blood pressure under control before they reinstate my surgery.

It's funny the tricks the mind can play because ever since hearing that he thought I had a heart attack I've been feeling not pressure but a spot, the feeling is as if some one poked me with their finger on my chest, It has to be all in my head with this good news.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:30 pm

User avatar Hi Happyhappy,

EKG's have a few things that can give clues to prior heart attacks, including the presence of "Q-waves" where they should not be. Without seeing the EKG it is hard to say for sure what the concern was about. Most likely, you'll not be cleared for surgery until you get the stress test to be sure everything is OK, since there has been concern raised.

If your current blood pressure medicine is not working there are a few reasons: 1) it isn't an appropriate class of medicine for you or 2) the dose isn't high enough. Generally, before changing to another class of medication the dose will be maximized to see if better effect is obtained. If this fails a second medicine is often added but the first may not be taken away.

Based on what you are saying, it sounds like you are getting appropriate care. Follow up with your doctor is important.

Best wishes.
 happyhappy - Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:44 pm

thanks,

My mom mentioned to me that when I was an infant I had encephelitis & they tried to remove me from respirator 3 times & each time I had to be put back on,
Maybe thats what they seen. after coming off my mom said I had seizures for 6 years. maybe there is damage.

Thanks
 happyhappy - Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:51 pm

since being on this medicine, my blood pressures seem to be better, but does that lessen the concern about my heart? Could good blood pressure readings
cancell the need for the cardiolite stress test? ( I do have to keep reminding myself that a cardiologist didn't agree with my doctor who thought the reading showed I had a heart attack in the past)

Is this a true statement?? blood pressure readings show the effectiveness of the hearts operating system but no necessarily the quality of the heart muscle itself

would the readings from my new BP machine be helpful to my doctor?
my last 20 blood pressuer readings, they seem to range 121 to 145 (top number) my bottom numbers are 83 to 88 only twice a reading of 90, my pulse is mostly 82 to 89 but there were 3 that were higher 95,104, 93 on the same day.

I have noticed that I'm very tender from the top of my right breast up to my armpit. maybe it doesn't mean anything.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here