Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: Leg Pain & Ultrasound

Cowboy1978 - Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:58 pm

I had an ultrasound in my left leg today because of some pain I had been having. I believe she called it a Dopplar/Doppler ultrasound. She said that there are no clots in my legs, however, I am still having the pain. The pain I'm feeling is on the back of my knee, and about 5 or 6 inches above that up the back of my thigh. It is worse when I sit down & put pressure on the back of my leg while sitting. Does anyone have any reccomendations? Could it be nerve pain? I first felt the pain when I was laying in bed, so I know it wasn't a muscle injury because I wasn't doing anything. It just kind of started on its own. Please, if you have any ideas or suggestions, I would like to hear about them. Thanks a lot.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:04 am

User avatar Hi Cowboy1978,
Do you have any swelling, redness or warmth in your left leg? Was the diagnostic doppler ultrasound performed on the entire leg or a specific location?
 Cowboy1978 - Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:50 am

There was no redness or swelling or warmth, there was a little bit of tingling & it made it worse if I sat down & Put pressure on the back of my leg where the pain was. They did the ultrasound all over, Between my thigh & Groin, Over my Thigh (inside), & My calf in 2 different spots. They kept having to squeeze my leg in the calf area. The pain is not as bad today but still noticable, it's actually getting better, could it be that I injured it & didn't notice? It did worry me that I was just laying in bed, awake after I had just gone to the restroom, & the pain was appeared out of nowhere. Thank you very much for your response & I hope to hear from you again soon.

Stephen
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:39 pm

User avatar Hi Cowboy1978,
I am glad to hear that the ultrasound was performed on your groin, thigh, calf, and I hope behind your knee as well. Generally speaking, when a clot is present, there is typically swelling and pain. As the condition worsens, symptoms may include warmth and redness or discoloration. It is certainly possible that you could have unknowingly injured your leg or lower back. That would also produce tingling sensations aside from other symptoms. I am glad to hear there is improvement but if symtoms worsen please notify your physician as a re-evaluation would be recommended. I hope this was helpful. Best wishes!
 Cowboy1978 - Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:37 pm

Just to update, I went to the ER again last night. I had more leg pain & hip pain. While I was in the ER I had chest pain. I was in the ER for 9 hours where all they did was run a EKG which came out abnormal & send me home with a copy of it, & told me to bring it to my doctor. No strenuous activity until released by him. I was very unhappy with that so I went to a different ER about 10 minutes down the road & was only there 2 hours. They gave me an aspirin, did an EKG, hooked me up to a heart monitor, did X-rays & took blood. They said I had no clots, did not have a heart attack & no pneumonia so they don't know what is causing the chest pain. They gave me a "GI Coctail" & this helped some but I still had some chest pain. The pain that stayed after I had the medicine was in my upper left chest, like a horizontal line that kept squeezing. I also had residual pain from when the center of my chest was hurting, but it didn't keep on. Is there any suggestions on what this could be? I have never had heart problems before, so this is a little weird & scary for me. I have been advised to see my doctor first thing monday morning & would like to have an Idea of what to expect.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:15 pm

User avatar Hi cowboy1978,
I certainly hope that you had the abnormal EKG evaluuated by both a Primary Care Physician and a Cardiologist. Sometimes an EKG can appear abnormal and it it be relatively insignificant. By the same token though it should not be brushed off as merely nothing unless it is evaluated by a specialist. Now as far as the chest pain you describe being somewhat relieved with a gi cocktail this indicates a relationship to a gastrointestinal disorder such as GERD(gastroesophageal reflux disease). I hope there has been improvement in your symptoms and an evaluation has been completed.
 Cowboy1978 - Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:50 pm

Well, I have an appointment with a cardiologist tomorrow morning actually. My primary physician did take a look at the EKG & said he doesn't see anything 'too abnormal' & referred me to the cardiologist just incase. I haven't really felt any pains except for a slight pinching in my chest. This happened before this episode at the ER though, & I'm watching it carefully.
 Cowboy1978 - Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:13 pm

I went to the cardiologist this morning. I had an ultrasound on my heart he said was normal, & said the abnormal EKG wasn't really that abnormal. I am a little frustrated with the pain still being there though. This pain is goes up from the lower center of my chest, up my left chest muscle, kind of up into my shoulder. It's kind of like this /(the direction it goes). It comes & goes, actually it's rather short when it happens like 2 or 3 seconds. It's really frustrating me because they are brushing everything off when I STILL have pain. Shouldn't that be something to consider? Isn't pain a 'sign'?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:44 am

User avatar Hi Cowboy1978,
We would very much appreciate an update when your time permits.

|