News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: skipped heart beat and caffeine

jenmonge - Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:01 pm

I wanted to share my story in hopes for helping others and maybe solving my problem. I was a heavy coffee drinker for about ten years when I began experiencing skipped heart beats, heaviness, and breathlessness. When I was tested the skipped beat showed up on the EKG. the doctor sent me home with Zanax for anxiety. (I was not stressed at all until I could'nt breath!) I did not make the connection to caffeine at this time. This year I had several more attacks and was told that I should stop drinking caffeine. Emmediately I felt better. I began drinking herbal tea and again began having symptoms. I read that if the herbal tea contains orange peel or ma hung these are natural caffeines. I am switching to WATER for now on and hoping all of my symptoms go away.
Quick question: Since my very first attack my heart rate seems to drop very low to around 45-50 range. 55 being my normal heart rate now. I am 38 years old and also have a low blood pressure. Should I be concerned about my low heart rate since I am not an athlete and not considered in the best shape? Also, I have never seen a Cardiologist, would you recommend that I see one?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:50 pm

User avatar Hi jenmonge,
Some abnormalities in heart rhythms are classified, for example, as premature beats either in the atrium (top chambers of the heart, PAC's) or ventricles (bottm chambers of the heart, PVC's). Not all premature beats are considered significant or serious in nature. Some can be triggered by stimulants, caffeine, nicotine, certain over the counter medications typically usd for cold symptoms, alcohol, etc. Some of course are triggered by actual heart anomolies. The identification or diagnosis of whether a heart disorder does or does not exist is determined by a cardiologist who can identify even the most subtle changes. You may want to inquire regarding a referral from your primary care physician to assure there is no underlying disorder. I hope this answers your questions. Best wishes.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here