Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: pvcs with shoulder pain

jenmonge - Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:28 pm

The past few days I have have numerous skipped beats and alot of lightheadedness. Yesterday around 5 pm my beats finally returned to normal, I felt fine but I was left with pain in my left arm and shoulder.It feels like a muscular injury without doing anything! During the days with skipped beats my hr was high 40's low 50's now it is high 60's. I am a 38yr old femal, non drinker, non smoker, no caffeine (except herbal tea which I quit drinking two days ago. ) not on any meds. and overall generally good health. Heart disease does run in my family. Any idea's would be helpful.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:37 pm

User avatar Hi Jenmonge,

PVC's occur when the cells of the ventricles decides it should make the heart beat, instead of waiting for the signal from higher up the chain. Each cell of the heart has a "time clock" in it that is set to fire at a certain rate. This is quite simplified but basically true. I suspect that you were feeling the "skipped" beats (which really aren't skipped, just early) when your heart rate was low because the ventricle cells decided to help out and try to make the heart beat faster.

Heart rates in the 40's are a bit low but can be normal in highly trained athletes and those in very, very good shape. I would recommend you see your doctor to have this evaluated. If everything checks out, I would not be too concerned about the PVC's since they go away when the heart rate comes up.

The evaluation is important to be sure there isn't anything wrong with your heart, especially given the chest/arm pain.

|