Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: Prinzide and Metoprolol

brandon13 - Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:57 pm

I'm a 27yr old Male who was diagnosed with hypertension last year. Since then I have been taking Prinzide(one 50mg tab once a day) and Metoprolol(25mg, half a tablet twice a day). I've noticed that I have constant severe headaches that affect me vision, dizziness, fatigue and upset stomach with frequent bowel movements since I started taking these meds. I've told my doctor and have even been hospitalized for a fainting spell. They tell me to keep taking them and give me things to treat the other symptoms.
I was without my medicine for about a month recently and noticed that I was fine and didn't have any of the other symptoms at all. I actually felt great and could be more active. I'm back on the medicines and am really miserable. Headaces are back and worse than before. Lately I've noticed that my arm will fall asleep if I'm holding my phone up to my head, this has never happened before.
I think it's the medicine, but my doctor keep insisiting that it is not. Any help or info would be apreciated. I want to stop taking them and go to a different doctor, but am afraid it'll just be the same.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:49 pm

User avatar Hi Brandon13,

Have you had your blood pressure checked while you are on the medicines. Your symptoms may be due to a blood pressure that is too low. If this is the case you may simply be able to reduce your medication doses.

From what you are describing it certainly sounds like you are having your symptoms due to these medicines for some reason, whether it be too much medicine or a side effect of the medicine. I would suggest you discuss this with your doctor again. There may be a particular reason your doctor is not wanting to change medicines.

|