Forum Name: Congenital Heart Disease in Adults

Question: Dizziness, fainting and shortness of breath

Katy101 - Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:40 am

I've done some research, and I need a second opinion on my symptoms and some treatment options? For the moment, I have no family doctor, and am reserved about going to one.

I feel dizzy and have shortness of breath after excersizing or having an emotional outburst.

I tend to faint or become dizzy if I over-exert myself.

If I have a panic attack or feel too much stress/anxiety I also tend to faint.

Running or lots of movement makes me very tired and I get dizzy.

I've never been diagnosed for a heart defect, but from what I've read online and in books, these symptoms all lead to it. Would you be able to help clear some of this up?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:26 pm

User avatar Hello Katy101,

Dizziness and feelings of lightheadedness are extremely common. Almost always they are not serious. However, the red flag that we look for is fainting or near fainting due to activity. This can signal an underlying heart condition such as a dysrhythmia where the heart is not able to pump enough blood.

I would recommend you see a doctor about this. You may also need to see a cardiologist. Overall, the odds are still that this is not a serious issue; however, being wrong can have terrible outcomes so it is safest to have this checked out.

|