Question: Mild chest pain after electric shock

Foster - Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:19 pm

Three weeks ago, I received a mild electric shock from a 120 volt circuit which was barely perceptible in both hands. I felt no muscle contraction, but a couple hours later, I could feel mild pain (that came and went) in my chest near my heart. I went to the emergency room and had an EKG. The ER said I was fine and that the pain should subside. The pain seemed to go away after a week or so. I am in otherwise good health and am fairly active. Since the pain subsided I've done some strenuous hiking, and afterward the mild pain came back and is still there. I do not have shortness or breath and the pain is not so bad that it keeps me from doing anything, like I said I'm pretty active. Is this mild pain a common after-effect that will gradually subside or should I get myself to the doctor soon?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:45 pm

User avatar Dear Foster,

Electricity can cause injury to the heart. i don't think that 120 volts can cause lots of damage. Your er visit with the ekg being negative ruled out that you have damage detectable on ekg.

i am not sure how long this will go on. The electric current could have injured other muscles in the chest area as well.

If you are exercising without a problem, i doubt that this pain is heart related.

If this pain gets worse, the characters of the pain start to change or it continues for more than you would say is reasonable, let's say 2 more weeks, i would then recommend you visiting your doctor.

|