Question: a high resting heart beat

0121943 - Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:01 pm

Hello DoctorsLounge

Female
Age 64
Weight 126 pounds
Height 5 feet
Smoker

4 years ago I overcome lung cancer, it was an inoperable tumour so only chemotherapy and radiotherapy could be employed and it was a punishiing regime, although a positive result was achieved I was physically and mentally wasted.
Further complications arose due to a severe steroid reaction when I suffered damage to my digestive system resulting in my vomiting a lot of red blood and by the time I was hospitalised I had brain swelling which caused me to become semi-conscious, lose my optical motor ability and so my eyes crossed, I also lost my senses of smell and taste, my balance and appetite and short-term memory.
Eventually I made a great recovery but have continued to have a poor physique, no sense of smell, poor balance, little or no short-term memory and my original strength of will and focus is greatly diminished. No complaints, I am great and delighted to be here thanks to the skills of all those who helped me.
I have recently made another concerted effort to get myself fitter but my husband has noted that my restinging heart rate averages 120-125. However my blood pressure is excellent and only occasionally is low, i.e., 100/65-ish.
I feel fine, no dizzy spells, no nausea and when I do a few minutes walking my blood pressure increases slightly and I feel a little sweaty but my heart rate drops slightly to 100-115.
My husband wants me to see the doctor but I am phobic about that and would ask that given the above - could the high resting heart rate be due to my lack of fitness?

Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:23 pm

User avatar Hi 0121943,

This heart rate is a bit high (not hugely so but it is significant). If your heart rate were elevated due to decreased fitness I would expect it to go up, not down with walking and exercise.

I would suggest that you see your doctor to have this evaluated. You should probably have some screening labs done to evaluate your thyroid and other electrolytes. Also, be sure you are well hydrated.

It may simply be that this is how fast your heart has decided it needs to beat now but it is best to be safe and have everything checked out to be sure.

|