Question: "Cold left hand and foot"

jswampy - Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:23 pm

For almost 6 months every other day my left hand has feels colder then my right,my wife has felt and she has also said my left hand was cold.On new years i went to the store and my foot did not have the streangth to lift my shoe,my foot sort of hung.I could move my foot side to side,lift my weight with my calf but i could not lift it..i have no headaches or anything....my wisdom teeth are coming out thats it.(they hurt)....i never seen a doctor and i'm wondering real bad,am i ok?what can cause this?
 Dr. A. Madia - Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:13 pm

Your left hand feels colder than right but you haven't said if its your left or right foot that you are unable to lift. For the purpose of this discussion I presume it to be the left.

Unable to lift the foot or 'Foot Drop' is most commonly caused by injury or compression to the leg nerve called ' Lateral Peroneal Nerve' This is mostly reversibe-unless it is a grave injury- and recovers in a few days time.

Another common reason for such weak foot is uncontrolled or undetected Diabetes Mellitus which will cause the nerve dysfunction and foot drop.

Compression at the cord level can be the reason for your kind of symptoms where both the left arm and hand which feels cold and the foot which drops. here the causative factor is some disk disease at both the levels.

You may get in touch with your doctor and she will advise you the necessary tests to undergo to arrive at the correct diagnosis.

Apurva

|