Question: bad heart valves / chest pain

whatever1921 - Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:51 pm

hi im a 42 yr old lady who was diagnosed with my 2 major valves going bad. i also have sharp chest pain sometimes in wich my doctor says its acid reflux everytime i tell him, how do i no its not a blocked artery are something and how will i no if my valves need replacement
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:30 pm

User avatar Hello Whatever1921,

Generally, sharp chest pain is less likely to be cardiac related. Cardiac pain is often described more as a severe painful pressure that is a little difficult to pinpoint exactly where it is coming from (often described as being more diffuse rather than being able to point exactly to the pain spot).

Often, leaky valves put extra strain on the heart and symptoms will relate more to difficulty pumping blood. This can lead to back up of blood in the lungs and cause coughing and difficulty breathing. Also, symptoms of severe fatigue and inability to tolerate activity.

Follow up with your cardiologist is important to continue to follow the status of your valves. If symptoms of heart failure begin to develop it may be necessary to try to repair the valves. Your cardiology may want you to take some medications to help reduce the workload of the heart and try to prevent further damage.

|