Forum Name: Ischemic Heart Disease

Question: Do SGPT/Bili values relate to Cardiac Ischemia?

Healthy1 - Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:56 pm

Age 40, Non-Smoker/Non-Drinker, Non Exercising, Slightly Overweight (5'11" - 195 lbs) - Family history of heart problems and high blood pressure.

Had a shoulder injury(or so I thought) at work. Did not report it because of how negatively work looks at - on the job injuries. Pain was a dull aching pain, varying in location from my left chest to down left upper arm and occasionally the left inner back. Injury happened approx. 8 weeks ago. I nursed the injury thru to the Holidays, using my left arm as little as possible. (Very stressful, very physical factory type work) Went to a (GP) General Practioner Dr. 5 weeks later when I had time off due to the Holidays.

Upon my suggestion, the Dr. sent me for a Exercise Stress Test(no injection - just ECG and Exercise) and blood work. The specialist reading the test let my GP know that the test showed Cardiac Ischemia. The blood work showed high cholesterol:

Cholesterol 221 mg/DL
Triglycerides 193 mg/DL
HDL Cholesterol 40 mg/DL
LDL Cholesterol 142 mg/DL

The GP doesn't think that I had a heart attack, he said that he still thinks that it seems to be a shoulder problem, even though we can't find any area of direct pain in the shoulder. However, he did put me on Cartia XT 120 mg (Cardizem) to lower my blood pressure and gave me Nitroglycerin to take if the pain gets worse. He also said to take a baby aspirin (81mg) every day. He said that my blood pressure was high.

Under the medication(Cardizem and aspirin) my blood pressure averages:
145/85 with a heart rate of 55.

I tried to get my GP to do additional tests (possible xray or some sort of injection stress test - that I read about on the internet), he did not send me for these because he still thinks it's possibly shoulder and the fact that he has set me up to see a Cardiologist. I moved up this appt the most I could, it is still a week and a half away.

If I suffered a heart attack, Am I possibly doing more damage to my heart every day, by not being on true heart medication? (the dull/aching pain has been the same since the day it started occasionally it does increase but then returns to the same aching state.)

The blood work shows about 20 different values that were measured. Besides the high cholesterol shown above, a few other values showed high:

SGPT/ALT 84 U/L
BILI, Total 1.6 U/L

My GP said don't worry about these values, so I'm not as concerned with these values. Although I did read something on the internet where high figures for these can indicate liver disease or cancer. Do these values have any relation to a past heart attack?, or do they relate to the Cardiac Ischemia at all? (if the bloodwork was done approx. a month and a half after a possible attack)

Thank you for your time, consideration and experience. Any additional info. would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:40 pm

User avatar Hello Healthy1,

An elevated SGPT and Bili level would be much more indicative of liver problems. These values would not be considered indicators of a heart attack.

There are a number of things that can cause these numbers to be elevated. It may simply be a viral infection. I would suggest you have these values repeated in 4-6 weeks to see if they have returned to normal.

Healthy1 - Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:35 pm

Dr. Lowe,

Thank you for putting some meaning behind the numbers.

The idea of possibly having heart disease is still so new to me. By looking on the internet, I am learning a whole new language(medical terms) assosciated with IHD. Placing a Doctor's insight behind what the numbers is a great help.

Thanks again for the response, I really do appreciate it.

|