News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: can a woman's period lower blood pressure?

happyhappy - Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:42 am

I had my nuclear stress test & didn't take my bp medicine but while being hooked up to the machine my numbers were good. even through the walking part my top number jumped to 165 but my bottom number stayed at 80. I realized after I had gotten my period. Can this be the reason?

my numbers this morning look ok too 116 over73. on of the reasons for this test was my bottom numbers were ,99,100,101 & 108 at the doctors office.

Should I tell my doctor when he calls with my report?

thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:26 am

User avatar I would not expect any significant blood pressure change with your period. I suppose if you had a huge and sudden blood loss it could affect it but your menses loss is minimal, even though it seems like quite a lot. If measured, it is actually 10-80 ml. in volume - not enough to make a difference in blood pressure.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here