Question: Left arm ache/upper left chest ache

Meredith_Pierson - Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:13 pm

Currently being monitored for aortic aneurysm (4.4 cm) and aortic regurgitation. On Atenolol, Dyazide, Adderall. Battling severe fatigue, have high BP/high cholesterol. Since October, have had very bad achy feeling in left arm/upper chest area, including intermittent throbbing arm pain. When I wake up, left upper chest feels "tight," "pressure." Then as day goes on, the left arm (mostly upper) gets real achy, I'm in tears by noon... Holter monitor showed 273 ventricular ectopy, 9 supraventricular ectopy, heart rate from 52 to 137 (was in bed 12 of the 24 hours of testing, no exercise), ST depression/elevation at the same time for 5 mins. at one point. Scheduled for adenosine stress test tomorrow. Was in ER a couple months ago, admitted overnight and checked cardiac enzymes, no heart attack. Cardiologist thinks "muscular." Any thoughts? Thanks!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:31 pm

User avatar Hi Meredith,

I am concerned by your description of your pain. The presence of elevation/depression of the ST segment can be indicative of cardiac ischemia (times when the heart isn't getting enough oxygen/nutrients). While the pain you are describing may be muscular, it may also be from cardiac pain. The stress test is important.

Follow up with your doctor is crucial. Hopefully, everything is OK with your heart but it is best to be safe and find out for sure.

Meredith_Pierson - Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:19 am

Thanks! I did the stress test Friday, my dr. said it came back "perfect" (no issues w/the heart). I'm thinking of getting a second opinion. Since I was given the adenosine, the pressure in my upper left chest has eased up (arm still achy), that tells me it may be heart-related (also, when I was given nitroglycerin in the ER, it eased the pressure for about a week)... I was looking at ischemia, too, it nails my symptoms.

|