Question: T WAVE ABNORMALITY IN 17 year old girl shortness

capricekid - Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:39 pm

Hello my daughter had an EKG, a holter monitor and an Echo last april 07 all was fine except on the EKG it said T WAVE ABnormality which the cardio Doctor said was fine. That lots of people have that on theit EKG. She has been fine. Now over the last week she has complaint of shortness of breath. She says it happens a few times a week and even when she is sitting or resting. We had another EKG done and it shows the T WAVE ABs again. I might mention that she is in good health except for having anxity disorder for which she takes Paxil. The shortness of breath feeling may be simply anxity. Is this something to worry about. Should i get another Echo Done? Its only been 9 months since her last one. Any help you could give me would be great. Thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:49 am

User avatar Hello Lizzy,

Often, EKG machines will interpret the report and give the programmed response to the rhythms detected. These are usually reliable but always must be reviewed because they can frequently be incorrect. In particular, there are many rhythm variants that are completely normal in younger people that are abnormal in adults. The EKG machines are less reliable when interpreting these EKG's of younger people.

The T waves have several normal variations in them so I would generally trust the cardiologist if he is saying it is normal. The shortness of breath may be due to non cardiac issues as well, so follow up with her doctor is important.

|