Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Chest Pain

sloudermilk - Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:27 pm

I have been taking phenermine(Fastin Diet Pills) for 1.5 weeks and have developed right side chest pain. It sometimes runs around to my back. Any suggestions as to what this may be? Should I discontinue use of the pills. Thanks sloudermilk
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:44 pm

User avatar Dear Sloudermilk,

The combination of phentermine and fenfluramine or dexfenfluramine, is notorious for cardiac complications.

The use of phentermine alone is not known to cause the same complications, this being said, however, there are very rare reports that it can cause the same complications.

These complications include
1. Increase in the pressure in the pulmonary circulation (blood vessels of the lungs) known as pulmonary hypertension which usually present as shortness of breath, chest pain, loss of consciousness and lower limb edema.
2. Diseased valves of the heart.

The chest pain that you are describing does not sound that it has the characteristics of chest pain typical for coronary disease.

At this point, i would recommend stopping the medication, get in to see your doctor to make sure that everything is ok.

|