Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Insuficient sleep?Sleep apnea?

murphy1982 - Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:49 pm

Im a am a 25 year old male I have for years fought with the feeling that I can not get enough sleep and I am wondering if it's due to any underlying illness or disease.When I was younger I was diagnosed with ADHD OCD ANXIETY also when I was 14 they had discovered that I had high blood pressure but upon further investigation It wasnt,It continue's just at times.Well im 25 now I feel my ADHD is somewhat undercontrol same as the OCD the Anxiety is not though but I don't and have never taken any medication regarding any of this and my blood pressure is still doing the same thing some times it will be high and other times it will be normal it's mainly high in the morning and in the evening the Dr has given me a prescription for a ace inhibitor to try but I have not yet,Another thing of concern is at night when I fall asleep rarely but on occasion I will get this pulsating like vibration feeling that I can hear as well that runs from my feet to my head in a wave,that's the best way I can describe it when these brief episode's happen I am fully concius about what is going on around me but I a relly hard time waking up I have to wake my selfup meening I have to roll off the bed or move which at times I cant do.Back to subject I will go to bed a 12pm-2am and sleep untill 8:30-9am and still be tired all day and at times will take nap's does this sound like a sleep issue or do you think if I treat my high bp and anxiety and get beeter sleep habit's like go to bed at a decent hour that this will improve or do you think it's something I need to have looked at thank you very much michael murphy
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:34 am

I certainly believe you should have all your issues addressed and some of your symptoms may be related and helped with the correct treatment. As for your sleep, I would caution you as to your expectations. Many people believe they don't need as much sleep as they actually do. In truth someone in your age range usually needs 8 or 9 hours of sleep at night. We rarely get this in our fast-paced world. This would be a good place to start, however.

It sounds also like you have experienced sleep paralysis, which can occur with or without narcolepsy (where you fall asleep during the day, sometimes without warning). The paralysis is not harmful but it may suggest you aren't getting enough of the REM phase of sleep. The best treatment for sleep paralysis includes getting enough sleep, reducing stress, regular exercise and keeping a regular sleep schedule.

murphy1982 - Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:14 am

Well I appreciate it Ive always kind of wondered what the whole pulsating/being paralyzed feeling was all about like I said Im fully aware of everything going on around me but unable to move but thanks that makes alot of sense it rarely happens though thanks again

|