Question: Early signs of heart problems?

gt1924 - Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:20 am

I'm a 30 year old female. Ever since I can remember I have had a slow heart rate (48-58) and heart murmur. I was never any good at sports because I would get tired really quick. When I was about 14 or 15 I had an EKG and an ultrasound done on my heart. I don't really remember a lot of what I was told but I think I was told that I had a misshaped left ventrical and that someday I might need a pacemaker. I've always had some pulpitations and some chest pain here and there.
Over the last year I have noticed that I have been getting light headed when I stand up. On several occasions I've felt as if I was going to pass out and everything gets foggy looking for a few seconds usually. I've had a few times where it lasted for a few minutes and I felt confused (a little) when I was walking. Sometimes I feel like I have vertigo and get dizzy when I wake up or tilt my head. This seems to be happening more and more over time. I guess my question is could this be early signs of heart problems and if I should seek a specialist (I have no insurance). I just feel like something is not right with me, but don't know if I may just be overacting in this situation. I also didn't mention that I have PCOS, normal blood pressure, and smoke about a pack a day of cigarettes.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:24 am

I would definitely have this checked out when you can. Since you have a known heart problem you should have follow up care, especially since you are symptomatic. Are there any clinics in your area with a sliding fee schedule?

Meanwhile, I'm sure you know you are asking for trouble as a smoker. Please get help quitting. I understand it is addiction and one of the hardest substances to stop using but there is help available and thousands have been successful. Call your local health department or tobacco quit line. You must do this!

If the PCOS is not treated and/or you are overweight, this is another area you can affect if you are determined. Even mild weight loss can make a difference if this is a problem for you. There is diet information available online and many low-cost support programs are available. For both of these risk factors you might contact the American Heart Association, visit the website, etc.

I know how restricting lack of health insurance can be but you might consider the money you have not been paying in premiums is used to pay for your care and sometimes it actually comes out to be less than your premiums might have cost you if you did have insurance. Keep a health savings account so you can get the care you need somehow. You can start with the money you save on cigarettes if you quit.

gt1924 - Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:12 pm

Thank you for your reply, it was very helpful.

Tammy

|