Question: constant chest tightness for 6 months

phantomcabbie - Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:19 pm

About 6 months ago I started having a tightness in my chest that started maybe twice a week and turned into every day. In addition i'm experiencing, shortness of breath, dizziness, cold/hot chills, disconnected/dreamlike feelings. All these other things seem to be brought on by panic over the chest tightness. Also, when i drink anything I seem to get a burning sensation in my chest on the left side and experience a bit of nausea. I haven't been to a doctor yet as I have no insurance. But at the end of this month I'm getting insurance through work. Was just hoping to have some idea what this could be. thanks...
 RiverRafter - Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:43 pm

I am 21 and had a similar problem that started about a year. I was given medication for Asthma and an inhaler. I am a smoker and that along with lack of exercise can contribute to that (shortness of breath), Also if your over weight. And the feelings that you get the "dizziness, cold/hot chills, disconnected/dreamlike feelings" are likely from anxiety about the overall problem. But I am not a doctor. I have had similar problem though.
 Dr. A. Madia - Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:41 pm

Tightness in the chest is a classic symptom of heart disease, specifically coronary insufficiency which means less blood supply to the heart muscle. Especially so since you have shortness of breath too. But does this come on at the time of some physical exertion? Try to notice if it does.

However burning sensation while drinking is indicative of some inflammation of the food pipe-esophagus- most commonly because of acid reflux from the stomach. This could also lead to tightness in chest.

You must get in touch with your doctor soon and undergo examination and tests like EKG, Stress test, Echocardiogram and possibly an upper GI endoscopy as well.

I hope this is useful,

Apurva

|