Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: Localized pain/swelling and pregnant.

nelly145 - Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:43 pm

I'm 22 years old and pregnant. I woke up with a very localized area of swelling, redness, and pain right above my right knee. It is the front of my knee, about an inch above my patella and towards the left/inner side of the knee. The area is puffy and red, and I can feel a slight hardness under the quarter sized area. There is no pain unless I walk on it, which produces a very sharp localized area of pain whenever I put weight on it. Taking weight off takes the pain away. I am concerned about the possibility of it being a blood clot since I am pregnant (7 weeks) and have been sleeping/lying down a lot lately. Does this sound consistent with DVT or is it most likely related to another condition? Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:09 pm

Because the symptoms are consistent with deep vein thrombosis (DVT) you should call your doctor right away. It may not be that, but only a pulled muscle or something but it is not worth risking a serious, untreated blood clot.

|