Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: Heart palpitations- should I worry?

krista_279 - Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:41 pm

I am a 22 y/o female and I have had random little "flutters", or flip -flops that feel like they are coming from my heart as long as I can remember. The last 3 months they seem to be getting more frequent though, and last night I had a particularly long episode of these "flutters" and also seemed to feel a slight pressure on my chest, but i"m not sure if that may have been just me psyching myself out since it was lasting so long. Usually it will flip-flop every few heartbeats for a few minutes and then stop, and it usually seems to happen when I am resting, like just sitting reading or watching tv. I am 5'6", 140lbs and I work out 4-5 times a week, running and light weight lifting, and eat pretty healthy. I've drank coffee since I was about 14 up until about a month ago, when I switched to decaf, thinking that it might stop these palpitations. it did seem to help until last night when I had a really long episode of them that lasted about 30mins. I don't smoke, but I am on birth control pills. I don't have a family history of heart disease, although my uncle suffered a minor heart attack about a year ago due to stress (he's in his 40's). My dad (54yo) says that he has always had the same little flutters since he was a kid, and he's in excellent shape and has never had any problems because of them. I've never had any chest or arm pain with these palpitations. Sometimes I feel a shortness of breath and light headed and try to breathe deep to calm down but again I'm not sure if i just get nervous and freak myself out. I've never felt nauseous or like I was going to pass out. They tend to happen more often in the evening, when I'm lying in bed or watching tv. I've never had a problem with them while I was exercising. Do you think that they could just be stress related? I know lately I have been a little bit stressed, but nothing overwhelming. I am thinking about seeing a doctor but in the area I live in I have to drive 40 mins just to get to a clinic and I don't curently have health insurance so I thought I ask here first and see if these are symptoms that could be dangerous, or warning signs that I should look for.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:30 pm

User avatar Hello Krista_279,

Heart palpitations are very common and are often not dangerous. However, occasionally they can be a sign of an underlying heart rhythm problem.

If at all possible I would recommend you see your doctor to have an EKG performed. If your doctor agrees you may need to see a cardiologist to determine if you need more heart rhythm testing such as a holter monitor (basically a portable long recording EKG machine that can record heart rhythms continuously for 1-3 days). The holter monitor is particularly helpful when the symptoms are only intermittent and not able to be caught on an EKG in the office.

With some heart rhythm problems medication may be needed to keep it under control.

krista_279 - Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:20 am

Thanks for your advice I will definately try to find a doctor close by and have them look at it for me.
 bella13 - Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:18 pm

Hi~ I'am currently pregnant with my second child and experiencing quite a few heart palpitations throughout the day.My ob gyn said they were perfectly normal due to increasing blood volume and hormones in pregnancy.I do have a heart murmur but no complications came from that in the past.These palps are more annoying than anything else.They never affect me when I exercise , I do not get short of breath and are not painful. Do I need to run to an ER or should I ride it out?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:54 pm

User avatar Hi -

See my reply to your post on the same subject in a separate thread you posted. The reply is very comprehensive.

|