Question: High pulse.. Please Help

heather25 - Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:54 pm

Lately, for about the past 4 weeks or so, I have been experiencing a very high pulse rate. It ranges anywhere between 124-132 bpm (I just checked it and it's at 132 bpm). I am not very active and stay home most of the time. I am 25 yrs old and smoke about a half a pack a day. I feel weak a lot and my body feels shaky, I feel tired most of the time, I get headaches frequently and I don't eat much (the sound of food isn't very appetizing most of the time), I also get severe dull pains in my stomach. I have Crohn's disease and am taking Sulfasalazine, which doesn't seem to help much but is the cheapest option I know of. My "normal" pulse rate use to be in the upper 80's to mid 90's. I know that my pulse is too high and it's beginning to really worry me. I don't work right now, am suppose to be looking for a job, but I feel so sick most of the time with my Crohn's and the high pulse and weakness, that I don't feel like doing much of anything. Would this have anything to do with the Crohn's or medication or could there be some other cause?
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:55 am

User avatar Hi!

Have you been having an increased frequency of bowel movement or diarrhea? Has an EKG been done?

bill
 heather25 - Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:19 pm

Hi Bill, thanks for your response.

No I haven't had an EKG, I didn't want to go to the doctor until I knew if it was something I would need to do. (no insurance) Yes, I have had an increase in bowel movements, I go to the bathroom about 5-8 times a day and I sometimes wake up 2-3 times at night, having to go to the bathroom. I'm not sure if I would consider it to be diarrhea necessarily but I have sudden urges. How does having frequent bowel movements affect my heart rate?
 Dr. Russell M - Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:20 pm

User avatar Hi!

Patients with dehydration or decreased blood volume can have increased heart rate, what with the heart struggling to distribute the decreased volume to every part of the body - it increases its rate.

Diarrhea can cause dehydration.

Nevertheless, it would be prudent to let a doctor examine you and your EKG to rule out any other heart disorder.

bill

|