Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: Untreated Blood Clots For Over Two Years

AlamoCity - Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:40 pm

I have had multiple blood clots in my lower body for over two years, and the valves in my lower leg veins have been destroyed. However, none of the clots have broken off and traveled to my lungs, etc. I thought a fatal embolism was fairly standard for people who ignore clots. The longest episode of severe pain has never been more than about 5-10 minutes.

The clots never go away completely, but when they get large enough to cause pain, my body disolves them enough to stop the pain -- pretty much over night. I have never been on any blood thinners, but I have an unusual diet, high in Omega 3 fatty acids. (It is unusual in that I do not consume anything unhealthy, such as greasy or fried foods, etc.) There have only been about four episodes of severe pain. Also, I had to wear compression stockings for a number of months.

Is it unusual for untreated clots to go this long without breaking off? Would you happen to know of a specialist in San Antonio who would like to study my blood to determine why my body is able to partially disolve the clots so quickly when they get large enough to cause symptoms? (This has happened dozens of time.) My understanding is that people have to go to the hospital and get on blood thinners when this happens.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:13 pm

User avatar Hello AlamoCity,

It may be that you are developing blood clots in the superficial veins of your legs. These clots tend to be much less dangerous than do the deep vein blood clots. The deep vein blood clots (deep vein thromboses or DVT's) can break off and travel to the lungs causing very severe effects. Superficial vein clots tend to be smaller and less commonly cause problems although they should not necessarily be ignored.

I would recommend you see a hematologist (blood specialist) to discuss this issue further. There may be a treatment to help keep you from having these pain episodes.

|