Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Fatty liver, triglycerides, headaches, swollen glands

jb.fonzie - Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:43 pm

Early last year I has an episode where I almost passed out after a large bowel movement. Almost felt like a heart attack. The doctors ruled out heart attack but ordered an abdominal ultrasound, which they say indicated a fatty liver. So recomended diet and excercise. During this time I was experiencing hip and joint pain. Also, had swollen glands under the armpits and neck. Blood pressure was not too out of line. I was able to loose about 12 bs. but can't seem to drop more. Currently 5' 8" and 236 lbs.

Later in the year around November I experienced some kind of episode during sex that caused intense pain at the back of the head and neck. After which I still have headache, ears very sensitive to noise with ringing, and trouble sleeping. Doctor ordered MRA that showed normal, no sign of stroke. Doctor said blood pressure was a little high and prescribed 20 mg Lisinopril daily, and Niacin 500 mg twice daily, and one 81 mg aspirin per day. Blood pressure is normal now. Problem is that I still have constant headache, glands under arms still swollen, aching joints, and large bowel movements that often cause me to feel lightheaded, and trouble sleeping. Below is results from 12/20/07 blood workup; cholesterol 220, HDL 30, LDL 125, triglycerides 327, uric acid 8.2, glucose 94 fasting, cratinine 1.1 mg/dl, bili 0.6 mg/dl.
Doctor just keeps tryng to treat headache but nothing is working. He had me try Inderal but that did not work. Taking naproxen on and off for the headache and joint pain. Basically, I feel terrible everyday, and have not been the same since the November episode. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. A. Madia - Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:15 pm

Your two major symptoms- headache and swollen glands.

Headaches have many reasons. A one sided headache which is throbbing and severe can be a Migraine or a Vascular headache-coming from an artery. A both sided dull headache can be a tension headache. Headache more on the face part could be a sinusitis. An uncontrolled blood pressure will also sometimes cause a headache. Severe stomach disturbance is also one of the causes.

Swollen galnds are generally the result of some focus of infection in the area of the glands' drainage. Some tubercular infection is also one of the causes of swollen glands. However in rare cases it may be some viral infection like infectious mononucleosis. In this condition, the gland swelling is a prolonged one and is associated with joint pains and mild fever as well as headache.

In such cases a detailed battery of tests to pinpoint the cause of headache along with tests to determine the cause of swollen glands is needed.

Please get back with the further developments. Thanks,

Apurva

|