Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: Alcohol, Meds and Hypertension

Mswalleye - Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:31 pm

My husband was dx. with hbp 1 year before we married (220/110). After a year and half of meds, bad side effects, decreasing idney function etc. we weaned him off with Dr. (our choice) and corrected it through nutrition etc. (120-130 over 80-90) He quit chewing tobacco, eats better etc BUT he is an alcoholic and this is his largest obstacle. Quesion is What is harder on his organ health .... present blood pressure readings and alcohol OR taking medication for bp and alcohol?? He was on atenolol and HCTZ. thanks
 Dr. A. Madia - Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:48 pm

User avatar Hi.

Keeping blood pressure under control, is of paramount importance, be it through medicines or diet. Atenolol and HCTZ are meds with proven track record worldwide and unlikely to cause kidney malfunction. His kidney function deterioration is likely due to unchecked hypertension of the past.

If the BP is now under control without meds and WITH on going alcoholism is something I am not in a position to believe. Alcoholism means excess amount of drinking more that 2 large per day and almost starting from the morning. Your husband's BP problem is beacuse of alcohol itself. Get some professional help on this front and get him de-addicted. His BP problem is then likely to vanish.

Apurva.

Mswalleye - Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:34 am

Thanks for the reply, I realize that the answer is not drinking but because it is a problem it may take awhile ... in the meantime until it is under control, if his BP is going to be around 135 to 160 over 85 to 100 diastolic ... the question is, is he better off on the meds or not? Not sure how bad the meds & drinking are together versus elevated blood pressure and no meds but drinking??

Kidney function went from 90% to 60% in a year when he started his meds - whether it was from the meds. HCTZ does say adverse effects can be kidney dysfunction, nephritis and renal failure ... thus I wasn't confident the meds weren't affecting his kidneys.
 Dr. A. Madia - Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:03 am

User avatar It is always better to be on medicines to control hypertension. Atenolol never causes kidney disorder. DCTZ could but rarely and that too at higher dosages.

In any case one could avoid HCTZ and substitute with whaterver your physician prefers instead.

Atenolol is being taken by people who are consuming alcohol. Very few drugs for BP have problem with alcohol, so it is always better to contriol BP with medicines, alcohol or no alcohol.

Apurva

|