Question: Surge Feeling in Heart

lmj4302 - Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:54 pm

I know this sounds crazy, but for the past year I have had chest pain on a daily basis. I have been to a cardioligist and had a cardiac cath done due to family history. Test came back normal. Also went to a GI doc and had a scope down the throat. Found a small hyatial hernia and I do have some slight reflux.Here is the problem. I have a severe chest flutter, surge type feeling happening. It comes with dizziness, sweating . It usually wakes me up from a sound sleep. It is very intense and feels like my heart is jumpstarting itself. I continually check my pulse and it is consistantly at 70-72. This can go on up to an hour. It is happening more frequently and now comes with pain in head mostly on the crown and sides of head. All blood test normal, along with blood pressure. I know the cardiac cath came out normal, but is that for the arteries only ? Could there be another cardiac issue that may have been overlooked ? This is very worrysome for me and any advise would help.
 Dr. A. Madia - Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:36 pm

Yes, the cath is only for the arteries, it does not rule out other forms of heart disease like rhythm disorders. From your description the possibility is that of a benign Supra Ventricular Tachycardia.

How ever one point against this possibility is the fact that your pulse is 70-72 at the time. But there are some other forms of arrhythmias where it will not reflect on the pulse like frequent ventricular premature beats.

In any case I strongly suggest you undergo a Holter 24 Hr. monitoring test through your cardiologist.

Apurva.

lmj4302 - Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:44 am

Thank you, I will print this and bring it to him. I appreciate your time
~~Lmj

|