Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: Hickey for over a year, some type of hematoma?

brady.lawrence - Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:07 am

My girlfriend has had a hickey for over a year now, it isn't that big or anything. It's a out the size of a 50 cent piece and is located on top of her right shoulder between the end of the shoulder and the colar bone.

I was wondering we've been trying to just wait this out and it seems an incredibly long time to wait and this bruise is still very clear. is there anyhing that can be done to get rid of this old bruise.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:15 am

User avatar Hello Brady.lawrence,

Given the time frame you are describing I would suspect that this is unlikely to be a bruise (hematoma). This may be an area of hyperpigmentation such as a cafe au lait spot. There are several different causes of hyperpigmentation. I would suggest she have her doctor take a look at the spot when she's in the office next. Often, these type of areas can easily be diagnosed by a quick evaluation.

|