News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: 30 years old with Hypertension 165/110

kgc26 - Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:08 pm

I have been feeling pretty terrible for the past 4 months, weight gain of 15 lbs, new high blood pressure of 165/105 (have been put on a diuretic Hydrochloracyacide sp?), and just a general sense of feeling lousy. I am a 30 year old female, with two children 6 yrs and 3 yrs. Here are my recent lab results. Doctor's seem baffled as to what if anything is wrong with me. Hoping someone here might be able to help. Thanks. Just reporting mostly on odd numbers (others numbers in normal ranges). My blood pressure has been down around 127/75 since starting meds. Any idea what could be causing hypertension at such a young age? Oh, and I am 5'5" 140 lbs (even after weight gain), not overweight.

Here is my recent blood work.
Hematology:
*These were taken when I had the stomach flu and had just started my diuretics (for high blood pressure), and became severely dehydrated.
Neutrophil 8.4 (High)
Lymphocyte 0.3 (Extremely Low)

Endo and Tumor Markers:
Renin 17.6 ng/L
Aldosterone 553 pmol/L
TSH 4.475 mlU/L
Microalbumin, U 29.9 mg/L
Microalb/creatine 9.1 mg/mmol creatine (HIGH)

Enzymes and Cardiac Markers: Liapase, S 15 U/L (Low)
Urine Chemistry: Urine Leukocytes 15 cells/uL

Thanks. I also had an abdominal ultrasound that didn't show anything significant. Although, I am being treated for a peptic ulcer.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:18 am

User avatar Hello,
Generally in a young person who is not overweight or a smoker, the hypertension is caused by genetic factors. Some people are just wired that way and it can develop at any time. It can also be secondary to other problems such as chronic kidney problems. Hormones play a factor and this is probably the hereditary part.

Because we can reduce some of the risk with a healthy diet, exercise and avoiding bad habits such as smoking and excess alcohol, we tend to think we can prevent all of it but in truth, a small percentage will still have it in spite of their best efforts. This doesn't mean you shouldn't continue to do these good things, since the bad lifestyle will make it worse and cause other problems. But, just realize that not everything can be prevented. You should take your blood pressure regularly to get a good picture of the average, since some fluctuation is normal.

You may need to take medication for high blood pressure for life. At least there are effective treatments. Your doctor will monitor and experiment with medications until you have the right one. Some people even require more than one to do the job since there are different categories of medications that can help.

After you become stabilized you will likely return every six months to be monitored. Whenever you take a diuretic it is important to have your labs checked regularly to be sure you don't lose other important electrolytes such as potassium and magnesium and you must drink plenty of water daily.

Good luck.
 haxuannguyen - Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:13 am

Hello doctor,
I am 23 yrs old female. I found out that I've hypertension for nearly one year ( every time i measure it's around 150/100mm Hg or even higher). i made some blood and urine tests and here are my results:

On 24 Apr08"
Blood tests: Result Normal limit
Urea 3.7 3.3-8.3 mmol/l
Creatinine 83 44-106 umol/l
Cholesterol 4.7 2.9-5.2 mmol/l
GOT/AST 17 4-40U/L
GPT/ALT 7 5-40U/L
GGT 12 4-49U/L
Urine test: Result Normal limit
Glucose Negative
Bilirubin Negative
Ketone bodies Negative
Specific gravity 1,015 1,015-1,030
pH 7.5 4.8-7.4
Protein Negative
Urobilinozen 0.2 E.U./dL
Nitrite Negative
Leucocytes Trace

On 17 Sep 2008
Blood tests: Result Normal limit
Glucose 4.7 3.9-6.4 mmol/l
Urea 4.2 3.3-8.3 mmol/l
Creatinine 60 44-106 umol/l
Cholesterol 5.4 2.9-5.2 mmol/l
Tryglycerides 1.2 0.8-2.3 mmol/l
HDL-Cholesterol 1.9 0.9-1.5mmol/l
LDL Cholesterol 3.0 0.5-3.4mmol/l
GOT/AST 18 4-40U/L
GPT/ALT 23 5-40U/L
GGT 15 4-49U/L
Urine test: Result Normal limit
Glucose Negative
Bilirubin Negative
Ketone bodies Negative
Specific gravity 1,020 1,015-1,030
BLO trace-lysed
pH 6.5 4.8-7.4
Protein trace
Urobilinozen 0.2 E.U./dL
Nitrite Negative
Leucocytes Trace

i also made electrocardiogram and my doctor told me the result is ok but he said I should consider for my kidney.
My mother is hypertension for nearly 20yrs. I am myself easy to got sick and sometimes feel dizzy.
I am very worried, Can you help me to explain my result and instruct me what should I do. With such results what matter i am facing now?
Many thanks,
Ha Nguyen

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here