News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Chest Pain Constant on Left Side

y3murphy - Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:02 pm

Hello,
I am a 34 year old male, no history of heart problems, non-smoker, healthy.
For the last 2 yrs I have had a constant pain on the left side of my chest (sometimes feel it in my left arm). I have 3 small children and find myself constantly concerned about my health. I have had blood work and EKGs done and everything is normal. My father and sister do have a history of panic/anxiety attacks. I have always thought that maybe I was suffering from something similiar and have tried to keep myself in check but it is becoming more and more frustrating as now I am worried that maybe I have a heart issue.
If I decide to go on anti-stress/anxiety medication, shoud or would I see a change fairly quickly?
 Dr. A. Madia - Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:10 am

User avatar Hi Murphy,

Chest pain on left side with pain in left arm has several reasons. Of course the most serious of them is angina or heart pain when heart is deprived of enough blood supply. However this is not constant like you have it for 2 years. Heart pain generally comes on after some exertion and subsides on rest.

Another possibility is a muscle or bone pain from the chest wall. This could be constant. Since you have it for 2 years, one must entertain a possibility of some spondylosis in the cervical vertebrae which could compress the spinal nerve root and cause a pain in front chest wall and arm.

However one must be certain and you definitely need to rule out heart issue by futher tests like Echo and stress test if your phisician deems it fit.

Apurva

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here