Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Bluish Skin

adamk - Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:46 am

Hi, my name is Adam i have had some type of flu for the past 4 days and as im recovering i have been coughing a fairbit with mucus. The thing that i have noticed now is that i am getting blue patches around my face and have bluish ears. I went to a doctor and they checked my heart on this machine and now sending records to a specialists, i also got a blood test done, but the person that checked the heart said i have abit of leaking in one of the valves, is this why the bluness is showing up? is this a sympton i have never had this problem, it just came yesterday as i was recovering from the flu.

Please Help
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:02 am

User avatar Dear Adam,

Was the oxygen level in your blood tested?

Was echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) the machine that checked your heart?

Bluish skin can be caused by many things inlcluding but not restricted to:
1. Congenital heart disease: These are a group of diseases that babies are born with and usually discovered during infancy and are well known to pediatricians.
2. Lung disease: causing low oxygen level in the blood.
3. Constriction of the blood vessels of the skin (like during cold weather) causing this bluish discoloration with everything else being normal.

Leaky valves do not cause bluish discoloration of the face.

To be able to tell you more, i need to know more. i recommend that you ask your physician about he thinks is causing this bluish discoloration.

|