Question: vague chest pains and constant itching

tayz - Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:29 pm

Hi, 44 year old male no family history of any cardiovascular disease. was told i was anemic in college. Had echo and stress test a year ago, all fine. have had panic attacks in the past. One doctor told me mild mitral valve, another said if any mild at best. lately been having vague chest pains (ache) with pain in left shoulder or bicep especially when walking especially lately in the cold. also feel bloated. aslo some aches in upper back. sometimes will have ache in my chest that seems to follow the beating of my heart. Also get shortness of breath. Also have been itching all over my body, sometimes wakes me up at night and will scratch intensly. None of this bothers me when i am laying down and sleeping at night. I will get fatigued easily like when walking around a mall for an hour, but after resting will get a second wind. Ive felt like this for awhile now and sometimes it bothers me and other times its not as apparent. last doctor wanted to prescribe low dose of prozak. Blood pressure when at doctors is usually 140/90
or higher but when i self test is usually never higher than 130/80 and most of the time lower.

thanks
 Dr. A. Madia - Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:24 pm

Chest pain is a symptom which worries most people when they get it. It has some connotations to the heart disease. It is very important to clear any misconceptions about this symptom.

Chest pain occurring on walking and subsiding on rest could be a heart pain. Especially if the pain involves the left shoulder and left arm. Shortness of breath on walking also has similar relation to heart disease. If you have this type of pain you must try to get to the bottom of it and report this to your doctor. Having said that, low hemoglobin can give you symptoms that exactly mimic a heart pain. So it would be wise to get a Hemoglobin check done first.

One doctor told you mild mitral valve but mitral valve what? Mitral valve prolapse, mitral valve stenosis, mitral valve regurgutation? All are different things. Mitral valve is a heart structure which is just there. If it is mitral valve prolpase, it is an innocent condition, can give you chest pains, panic attacks are also associated with it.

My advice, do not panic, check the hemoglobin, get in touch with an internist first who will have a broader vision, and follow her advice.

Apurva
 tayz - Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:44 am

thanks for the info. My doctor checked my blood pressure was 150/90. ordered an echo and stress test. Symptons Ive noticed is this ache in my chest that corresponds with my heart beat, also feel it in my back. sometimes relieved after eating sometimes worse after eating. But the ache and sometimes pain in my arm is mostly there at rest with no activity. never feel any of these sypmtons lying down or sleeping. Also if im on my knees for awhile when i stand up the ache is more pronounced for about a minute then subsides. I also get what seems like a skipped beat a few times a week. when this happens it sends a shock throughout my upper body, which sets me back a minute or so.

|