Question: SVT; ablation; new symptoms

earthchild_7 - Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:59 pm

Hey there,

I'm a 20 yr old female with a history of SVT. I had an ablation in 2002. Since then I've had the occassional episode but they usually only last a few minutes. I get shortness of breath, especially in the shower. I've had a few echocardiograms (due to SVT;normal) and many ECG's. My HR is usually above 100 and my nursing instructors suggested I get tested for hyperthyroidism.

I scheduled an appointment and when they were taking my vitals my HR was 170bpm. It didn't feel fast, I wasn't uncomfortable, and I hadn't had any caffeine or other stimulents. The doctor wanted to call an ambulence (which I refused) and they suggested that I go to the ER which I did. Oh, and the thyroid test came back normal.

At the ER my HR was 165 and they gave me two injections of adenosine which didn't work and a shot of something else which returned my HR to normal. The whole time I felt completely normal. I wasn't lightheaded, short of breath, or anything.

The ECG said that I was having sinus tach with a nonspecific repol abnormality, diffuse leads. What does this mean?

Also, in the right side of my neck there is a high-pitched whooshing sound that can be heard with a stethescope...is this normal? Also, sometimes I feel pressure directly over the middle of my sternum

I'm suppose to see my cardiologist next week but don't really want to go...

Thanks for your help.
 Dr. A. Madia - Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:55 am

User avatar Hi earthchild,

Reasons for fast heart rate are many.

Fever
Anxiety
Pregnancy
Hyperthyroidism
Heart Failure [weak pumping]
SVT
Atrial Fibrillation
Ventricular tachycardia
AV malformation with shunt [AVM]

You had an SVT to start with. SVT will have fast heart rate but it is never a sinus tachycardia. This time when your heart rate was 170 you say you had Sinus Tachycardia which means it was not SVT and the heart was beating fast with its normal beating mechanism. This is often associated with non specific repolarisation abnormality which is of no significance.

So now that it is not SVT, things like fever, anxiety, prgnancy, hyperthyroidism, and AVM need to be ruled out.

The swooshing sound in neck on stethoscope just COULD be a continuous to and fro murmur of an AV malformation. On the other hand it could be a carotid bruit, caused due to a plaque in your carotid artery but at your age it is less likely.

Best thing to do is to see your cardiologist and if everything ok with the ablation part, get a work up done to rule out the other possibilitis I just mentioned.

Do not get anxious, this does not look to be too serious!

Apurva

|