News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: SVT; ablation; new symptoms

earthchild_7 - Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:59 pm

Hey there,

I'm a 20 yr old female with a history of SVT. I had an ablation in 2002. Since then I've had the occassional episode but they usually only last a few minutes. I get shortness of breath, especially in the shower. I've had a few echocardiograms (due to SVT;normal) and many ECG's. My HR is usually above 100 and my nursing instructors suggested I get tested for hyperthyroidism.

I scheduled an appointment and when they were taking my vitals my HR was 170bpm. It didn't feel fast, I wasn't uncomfortable, and I hadn't had any caffeine or other stimulents. The doctor wanted to call an ambulence (which I refused) and they suggested that I go to the ER which I did. Oh, and the thyroid test came back normal.

At the ER my HR was 165 and they gave me two injections of adenosine which didn't work and a shot of something else which returned my HR to normal. The whole time I felt completely normal. I wasn't lightheaded, short of breath, or anything.

The ECG said that I was having sinus tach with a nonspecific repol abnormality, diffuse leads. What does this mean?

Also, in the right side of my neck there is a high-pitched whooshing sound that can be heard with a stethescope...is this normal? Also, sometimes I feel pressure directly over the middle of my sternum

I'm suppose to see my cardiologist next week but don't really want to go...

Thanks for your help.
 Dr. A. Madia - Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:55 am

User avatar Hi earthchild,

Reasons for fast heart rate are many.

Fever
Anxiety
Pregnancy
Hyperthyroidism
Heart Failure [weak pumping]
SVT
Atrial Fibrillation
Ventricular tachycardia
AV malformation with shunt [AVM]

You had an SVT to start with. SVT will have fast heart rate but it is never a sinus tachycardia. This time when your heart rate was 170 you say you had Sinus Tachycardia which means it was not SVT and the heart was beating fast with its normal beating mechanism. This is often associated with non specific repolarisation abnormality which is of no significance.

So now that it is not SVT, things like fever, anxiety, prgnancy, hyperthyroidism, and AVM need to be ruled out.

The swooshing sound in neck on stethoscope just COULD be a continuous to and fro murmur of an AV malformation. On the other hand it could be a carotid bruit, caused due to a plaque in your carotid artery but at your age it is less likely.

Best thing to do is to see your cardiologist and if everything ok with the ablation part, get a work up done to rule out the other possibilitis I just mentioned.

Do not get anxious, this does not look to be too serious!

Apurva

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here