Forum Name: Arrhythmias

Question: Bruit in neck; abnormal repolarization; SVT; 20yrs old!

earthchild_7 - Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:15 pm

I would greatly appreciate your help on this matter.

I'm a 20 year old female of healthy weight. I exercise regularly and do not smoke. I have a history of SVT. I had an ablation 6 yrs ago and have periodic episodes of irregular heart beats since then. That's not my concern.

I was recently sent to the ER (pretty much against my will) due to a heart rate of 170 bpm. I felt completely normal while my heart was beating rapidly and was not in any sort of distress nor had I taken any stimulents. I do not have abnormal thyroid levels as they tested me at the ER.

I was given two shots of adenosine which didn't help and a shot of something else which lowered my heart rate immediately.

My EKG said that I was in sinus tach (165 bpm) which isn't really anything to worry about but it also said that I had a nonspecific repolarization abnormality, difuse leads. What does that mean?

A fellow nursing student noticed a high-pitched whooshing sound in the right side of my neck and it sort of feels like it's vibrating. I've been told it's probably a bruit but that's it. I've listened to it on my own stethescope and it almost sounds like a whining background noise or like a swarm of bees buzzing. This is the reason for my concern and the reason I'm writing in. If you could PLEASE answer this email as soon as you can I would be forever grateful.

Dr. A. Madia - Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:18 am

Reasons for fast heart rates are many. One of them is SVT which you had and got ablated 6 yrs back. Another is Sinus Tachycardia which you recently had. Both are quite different in nature.

S. Tachycardia generally unlikely to respond to Adenosine. S. tachcardia will many times show some non specific repolarisation changes on ECG. These are perfectly okay and has no significance.

Humming or wooshing sound on the neck can be a Plaque in the carotid artery causing a carotid Bruit, a transmitted murmur from the aortic valve, a continuous murmur of an AV malformation or a local bruit due to Hyperthyroidism. In context of your S. Tachycardia, you must rule out hyperthyroidism. In addition some tests like carotid doppler, echocardiogram etc will selttle the matter if your doctor thinks they are required.

Take care,

Apurva

|