News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Post ASD Closure Echo....results

dcopel02 - Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:04 am

I am trying to get insurance 2 years after my ASD closure. THe insurance company, after jumping through many hoops, said to get another echo done and if it came back clear, they MAY give me insurance. Obviously, not having insurnace to get the echo hurt me....because I had to pay cash for it. So, I got it.

Now, I got the results....and my cardiologist has taken a 3 month sebatical. If I want the results explained, I have to start over with a new cardiologist...again, no insurance. I am just hoping someone can explain my results to me so I understand what I am sending the insurance company. I don't understand the medical terms and want to know if I am OK, first of all. And, secondly....is this something insurnace would typically been afraid of?

Below are the main notes on the results:

1. Normal left ventricular size and systolic function. There is fusion and mild E/A reversal without left atrial enlargement.

2. The right ventricle is enlarged with history of atrial septal defect repair. Mitral valve appears competent.

3. The inter-atrial septum appears thickened with history of atrial septal defect repair. No specific shunting is noted in this technically difficult study.

Study quality: This is a technically difficult study with significantly reduced visualization of valvular structures.

EKG Rhythm: Sinus

Left Ventricle: Normal in size and thickness . There is normal systolic function. There is some mild E/A reversal with an E/A ratio of .82. E/E prime ration would suggest normal filling pressures.

Left Atrium: Normal in size

Right Ventricle: Enlarged at 3.1 cm.

Right Atrium: Does not appear significantly dilated.

Aortic Valve: Tricuspid and opens normally.

Mitral Valve: There is some redundancy of the anterior leaflet of the mitral valve suggestive of prolapse of the anterior leaflet. On the M-mode there does not appear to be definite prolapse.

Tricuspid Valve: Structurally normal. No significant tricuspid regurgitation is noted. Pulmonary artery pressure is normal.

Pulmonic Valve: Not well seen.

Pericardium: No significant pericardial effusion is noted.

Aorta: The aortic root is of normal dimensions.

Venous/IVC: The inferior vena cava collapses normally with inspiration.

Miscellaneous:
a) Inter-atrial septum is intact
b) No shunting is noted across the inter-atrial septum with history of atrial septal defect repair. The views from the subcoastal are very poor.

Cardiac Dimensions:
RVIDd (cm) 3.1
IVSd (cm) 1.1
LVIDd 4.0
LVIDs 2.9
PWd 1.1
Ao sinus 2.7
LA volume index 20.02
LV mass/BSA female 75.91
%FS 27
LVEF MOD A4C 57
LVEF MOD A2C 58
E/A .82
E/A w/ valsalva 19.359
DT 244

Aortic Valve
LVOT Diam 2.1
LVOT Vmax .72
AV Vmax .85
AV mAXpg 2.86
av MEANpg 2.16
ava vMAX 3.0
lvot/av vti ratio 1.070

Pulmonic Valve111
PV Vmax .79
PV maxPG 111

Mitral Valve Diastolic Fx:
Propogation velocity 77
Septal Ea .07
Septal E/Ea 6.59

Mitral Valve
MV Max PG 1.22
MV MeanPG .73
PHT 95
MVA by PHT 2.3
MV/LVOT VTI Ratio .705

Tricuspid Valve
TV Vmax 1.02
TV PG 4.15
RAP 10.00
RVSP 14.15

MV-A duration 104
PV-A duration 133
 Dr. A. Madia - Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:09 am

User avatar Hi,

It looks you got a successful ASD closure. Certain abnormal finding on Echo like Right ventricular enlargement, thick inter Atrial septum are part and parcel of post ASD repair. The Enlarged ventrical will grow normal over a period of time. Mitral prolapse is a benign inconsequential 'disease' which should be ignored.

I don't know about the insurance company but your Echo result looks to me consistent with a successful ASD closure.

Apurva

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here