News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: Difficulty breathing, swallowing, sore throat--strangled?

wreckabec - Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:45 pm

Please advise. In an argument, last night, with my boyfriend, he wrapped his hands around my neck for several seconds. I never lost consciousness, but it was painful. Just figured I was more upset than anything. However, today I have difficulty breathing, a sore throat and it's difficult to swallow. My neck is also sore. Do I need to go to the ER or will this just go away on it's own. Please advise asap
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:19 pm

User avatar Hello:
Anytime you have difficulty breathing you should see a doctor immediately. Your boyfriend could easily have damaged the tender tissues of the larynx and/or the esophagus causing swelling and the difficulty with breathing and sore throat. After you see a doctor who hopefully will rule out serious damage, I suggest you take steps to take yourself out of the situation where your boyfriend can get his hands on you. Statistics show that persons who abuse others do not stop on their own. They only get worse until they end up either by killing someone and inevitably in jail or by being killed through someone trying to protect the victim. Neither scenario is good, please don't be a statistic, get out of this relationship, you deserve better.
Regards,
Carolyn

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here