News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: severe chest pains from mid-to-left area

beccabb22 - Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:45 am

I am a recovering bulimic and have always been concerned with the damaging effects it has had on my heart. I have been an athelete all my life so my heart has always been strong until the last 6 years. I recently have had the flu and am feeling ok now except for this horrible pain in my chest, starting from the center and towards the left. It feels like someone is ringing out my heart accompanied with pressure. It is exassperbated when I move quickly, eat, drink, cough, or sneeze. Unless I am calmly breathing I am in pain. I also suffer from anxiety which in many cases I have had chest pain. I am scared that the damage Ive done could essentially cause heart failure.

Rebecca Campbell, 28
 Dr. A. Madia - Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:35 am

User avatar Hi Rebecca,

At 28, you are quite young to have a heart condition, unless you have one from birth [congenital] or childhood [rheumatic]. I am sure you do not have neither of these two.

Bulimia is not as likely to cause heart failure and cardiac death as anorexia. Those who take frequent purgation and induce vomits, may suffer low potassium levels and sudden cardiac death. Excess nutrition from bulimia may have caused hypercholesterolemia etc but now that you are out of it there is no imminent threat.

As for chest pain, any pain that increases on coughing, sneezing, turning, or deep breathing generally is not from the heart. This could either be a muscular pain or pain from the lung memrane called pleura.

If the pain is very consistent is may be worthwhile to check with your doctor if some chest x ray is required.

But stop worrying about heart failure at your age!

Apurva

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here