Question: PVCs in 23 yr old female

shue00 - Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:20 am

Hello, I am a 23 yr old female or good health. I have not had any significant illnesses or conditions. I have a vast family history of heart problems, diabetes, and cancer, but I have not been diagnosed with anything. I am writing because I had an episode where I passed out and the doctor tested me because she heard an irregular heart beat. I had an Echocardiogram, and wore a holter monitor for 24 hours and the results indicated I had PVCs. We decided not to take any actions because I had only one episode of passing out. But, I have sinced passed out a few times. Most often, it happens in the shower in the mornings. I am now very aware of it and am able to catch it before I actually pass out, but occassionally I actually pass out. I have tried to alter my diet, exercise, caffeine intake, to no avail. I do not drink alcohol or use tobacco or any other drugs. My concern is that given my father's history, this may be serious. My father had his 1st heart attack at age 38, suffered congestive heart failure at 47, had open heart quadrupal bypass surgery at age 50, and heart failure again at age 53. I am wondering if this is something I should worry about and check out or it if is probably denign. I am also wondering if my constant battle with Strep throat when I was a young teen could have contributed to anything. Any help would be great.
Thank you, Tracy
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:05 am

User avatar Hi shue,
There have been some studies that show strep, especially untreated can affect the heart. Considering your family history of heart disease, and the fact that you are now having symptoms, certainly warrants being checked by a cardiologist and having a workup done. If everything checks out fine, then you will be at ease at least. Better safe than sorry. Hope this helps. :)
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:55 am

User avatar Dear Shue,

Totally agree with Theresa.

The cause of syncope has to be determined and whether or not the passing out that you have been experiencing is related or not to the pvcs that were found at one point is not known.

The work-up of syncope usually involves a long list of investigations and in most of the cases, it is not helpful in finding out the cause.

You will have to see a cardiologist, you already had an echocardiogram the results of which are unknown to me but i will assume that it was normal since you never mentioned anything abnormal about it. Since the echocardiogram is normal, the strep throats that you had never affected the heart.

For the repeated syncopal episodes, most probably you will have a tilt table test which is usually done and interpreted by cardiologists.

|