Question: Stabbing Left Chest Pain - with soreness to the touch after

Gordina - Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:34 am

I am a 29 year old female born with Tetralogy Fallot - which was surgically corrected at the age of 10. I have not had any further surgery and am still missing a pulmonary valve. I am healthy and quite fit and play competitve sport. It is rare that I get sick or get the flu. I am not on any type of medication and irregularly take a few general vitamins. I did go on Yasmin 3 years ago for approximately 6 months and felt so awful during that time that I stopped taking it.

I have in the last 3 years been getting sharp pain in my left chest (only lasts a few seconds) that takes my breath away but then a minute later I am okay and just a little shaken for it. I tend to have a touch soreness/tenderness to the side of and on the side of my left breast for a day or two afterwards though. I may go for 6 months without any of these sharp pains and then over a few weeks, will get a number of them. I feel scared to breath deeply after one. Just this morning I had one while I was just sitting on the bus and then a few seconds later had a second more intense one which was unusual. I don't experience dizziness or shortness of breath.

I am starting to think that they might be more likely to occur when I am under particular work or personal pressure and a more hectic fitness program.

Due to my missing of the pulmonary valve, I have begun MRI scans every 12 months for the last 3 years and I have been told that while my heart is enlarged, there has been no sign of any further deterioration over that time period.

I have mentioned the above to my heart specialist who is a lovely man but he did not have any suggestions as to what was happening.
 Dr. A. Madia - Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:48 am

User avatar Hi Gordina,

Tetralogy of Fellot's is a complex cyanotic congenital heart diease, fatal if goes uncorrected. And mind well, correction is never easy. Each case is having some variable anatomy and it requires some high skill levels and vast experience on the part of the surgeon to accomplish a successful correction. The fact that at the age of 29 you are healthy and indulge in competitive sports indicates a very successful surgery.

The pain type you are describing however does not correlate with any known causes and conditions. It is not cardiac, not muscular, and neither pleuritic. I feel this could have something to do with an episode of dyspepsia or flatulence and the reason of sharp stabbing pain the movement of gas in the tranverse colon or jejunum.

You could try some OTC anti flatulents at such a time. If you do not find relief I think a consultation with an internist would be helpful.

Apurva

|