News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: 37yo with delayed stabbing chest pain

dfh - Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:14 pm

I am 37yo unmarried male, 6ft 186 lbs in good physical shape, drink little, don't smoke and work out regularly. I have had a stabbing chest pain, which comes just left of the manubrium and the body of the sternum right between rib 1 and 2 in the 2nd intercostal space (I am getting the exact locations from an anatomy textbook). I mentioned this pain to my GP, which was accompanied by lightheadedness and sometimes faintness. He proscribed a stress test and 48 hour halter monitor. Nothing was remarkable about either test, and nothing was noted with the halter monitor as correlated with symptoms. However, recently I noticed while evacuating a bowel movement and some strain from that, I was able to illicit the stabbing pain. What was most notable about this was that I got the pain 2 to 3 seconds after straining. I can also illicit this with deep inspiration of air with the same delay of time. Does this sound significant to you? Am I in danger of having a vessel rupture? I lost my job and I can't afford to go to a doctor right now. So any input would be appreciated if you think I am in danger of an impending problem not caught in my cardiac tests.
 Dr. A. Madia - Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:15 am

User avatar Hi,

Chest pain is common symptom. Association of this location of pain with Heart is the cause of a lot of anxiety on the part of one who suffers from it. However it is equally true that many of the chest pains are never related to the heart. Especially the location you describe is not characteristic of a heart pain. Classic angina or heart pain is typically retro sternal, choking or squeezing sensation, poorly localized, comes on or aggravated by exertion, sometimes radiating to the left arm, neck and jaw.

Non cardiac or musculoskeletal pain is typically well localized, as in your case, aggravated by deep breathing, or coughing.

The delay which you describe is not correlating to any of the classic symptom complexes of various kind of chest pains. However my advice to you, is to not panic at all. In my opinion this pain does not look like a heart pain. Since you do not have insurance, what you can do is go and buy an OTC pain relieving tablets along with an antacid and anti gas formulation. And most important TRY not to think of it and divert your mind with some constructive activity. Stop reading anatomy text books! [lol].

Take care,

Apurva.

N.B. Opinions and advice aregiven in this forum on the base of data provided the guest and there is no way for the professional to check for accuracy of the data first hand.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here