Forum Name: Hypertension

Question: High Cholesterol since age 10!

shartley - Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:29 pm

I am 24y female who has: high cholesterol since 10, been on med for 9 months to only watch my numbers rise. 9months ago I was at 262, now I am at 266. My bad has gone down tho from 220 to 190. I have a LENGTHLY family history of high cholesterol ranging from my father who died as a result @ 40y to a cousin who is 2yrs older than me and has had 3 heart attacks. I also have another cousin who @ 30y has had numerous stints (coated) and quadrupal bypass (which blocked in 9 months). I am extremely concerned about my health. I have talked about this concern with my GP and although i trust his opinion, something is just not right. I was sent to a cardiologist by my ob when I was pregnant last year because my heart rate was always above 160...even resting. The cardiologists hesitated to check my cholest. because he said I was so young I had nothing to worry about. I never went back to him. But, I have gotten a pain from my jaw line down my neck...left side. 1st time I was on a roller coaster, 2nd time I was just really mad and stressed out. I feel like I am not being taken seriously because I am so young. I am well aware that my age makes it highly unlikely for many things...but i believe my concern is valid. I guess my question is: Could that shooting pain from my jaw to my neck be heart-related? It only lasted until the roller coaster was over, well...it was still there a little but it became tolerable. then, I went on another ride and it happened again in the same extremely painful intensity. All in all, after the 2nd ride, I stopped and the pain...although much less intense, was still there for approx 30 min. I also have heart palpitations. I did wear a 24hr holter and dr said of 8 abnormal beats only 2 were of concern and because they were just outside the "inside abnormal limits" I shouldnt be concerned. I think I covered everything. If not, just ask me questions and I will answer them as best I can. Oh, yeah, is there any test (besides a stress test) that could be done to check for a blockage (maybe) somewhere in my neck? Any info you can offer I would greatly appreciate or any suggestions of questions I should ask my doctor would also be useful. Thank you so much!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:46 am

User avatar Hello shartley,
Some cases of high cholesterol run in families. They are rare and are known as familial (hereditary) hypercholesterolemia. There are many subtypes that differ in severity and in the abnormal process involved.

If your cholesterol is high and you have a family history of ischemic heart disease / stroke then this puts you at high risk of developing CHD. Symptoms such as you have described could be psychogenic, muscular pain among other things. They could also be due to heart disease. In your case I would take them seriously.

Have you done a stress test? Another test associated with a little more morbidity is cardiac catheterization, which involves the introduction of tiny microscope into the heart.

I am not saying you should do any of those tests right away. However, you should be taken seriously. I would advise you seek help from a second cardiologist. He will better assess the significance of your symptoms in relation to other risk factors.
 shartley - Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:32 pm

yes, I have had a stress test and my dr was unable to reproduce my symptoms after quite a long time on the treadmill. I will; however, see another cardiologist. thanks again, sherry

|