News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Cardiology Symptoms

Question: 34 years old, chest, armpit pain.

kanona531 - Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:33 pm

Hi,
I am 34 years old. I am 5' 2" and 115 lbs. For the past year, I have had pain in my left, upper chest on and off. I have seen 2 doctors at the practice I go to, and 1 surgeon. I have had a chest x-ray and an ekg (both around the middle of last year). I have been told it could be breast pain, heart burn or simply anxiety. I tried taking something for heart burn but that didnt' work. The surgeon thought it was breast pain and told me to take Evening Primrose Oil, but that didn't help either.
The feeling is like a burning sensation just below my skin, with occasional sharp pain, above my breast and towards the center of my chest. Occasionally, I will also have a dull pain in my left armpit. Rarely, the pain is dull and I can feel it in the entire left side of my chest.
I also have asthema, but usually only when I have a cold. Recently the asthema has come back, but only with a slight cough, no cold. The other morning it was hard to breath. I am going to go to the doctor for the asthma soon. I don't think it is related, though.
The only other symptom that seems to occasionally happen with the chest discomfort is a sharp pain in the upper left part of my back. The doctor did say it may be a pinched nerve in my back.
 Dr. A. Madia - Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:18 am

User avatar Hi Kanona,

Heart pain or angina is a retrosternal, [below the breats bone ] or slightly to the left, vaguely localised, diffuse, squeezing or choking type of pain which generally comes on after some exertion and susides on rest. Sometimes it is radiated the left arm, left shoulder, or even base of neck and jaw.

Musculo-skeletal pain is sharp, localized, increases in movement, cough or breathing. Does not have relation to exercise. Pleuritic pain is also similar.

Looking to your pain, however I do agree with your doctor that this just could be a pinched nerve in your spine causing chest pain infront in iys area od distribution.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here